My baby had severe colic issues and touchwood it all settled down when she turned 4 months.
Colic is uncontrollable crying in babies mostly due to gas in their bodies. Try to avoid gassy foods like cabbage, cauliflower, lots of onions in your diet. Though many researches deny that there is no connection between breast milk and colic, from my experience there is definitely a connection.
Write down all that you ate when your baby cries. You will surely find out the culprit.
Here are some remedies that might help, please consult your pediatrician before you try out any of this:
- Gripe water 2 times a day, follow instructions on bottle. Review here
- Immediate relief in colic drops such as Colic aid, review here.
- My mother suggested age old herbs such as jadikai, masikai. Not sure what it’s called in other languages, they burn these herbs in the flame of a lamp and make a paste by rubbing it on a stone with some water. They place it on the baby’s tongue every day. My mother swears by this remedy. You get these herbs easily in some ayurvedic stores.
- My doctor suggested elcarim drops which has the above herbs, as it is hygienically prepared and is herbal with no side effects.. Review here. But then my baby disliked the taste.
- Take you baby out for a drive on a bumpy road, here in India we are blessed with bumpy roads. The gas just releases you will be surprised.
- Take your baby near a tap and show him or her running water. The sound just stops them from crying.
- Hair dryer is another useful remedy. Just run the dryer (not on your baby), just the sound will stop the crying.