One of the most important products in any skin care regimen involves using the right kind of cleanser. Depending on the skin type, several cleansers with different ingredients are formulated to meet their specific needs like those in Dr Jart products. One example is that if your skin is relatively dry, you may benefit from products with hydrating elements like hyaluronic acid, milk, and creams.
Likewise, acne-prone skin may benefit from gentle and water-based cleansers that do not strip the skin of its natural oils. South Koreans have developed a technique called double-cleansing or cleansing with oil and water. This involves using two different kinds of cleansers and has been considered a staple in the world-famous Korean skincare routine.
Double Cleansing vs. Regular Cleansing
The first step is to use an oil-based cleanser to remove deep-seated dirt in the pores. After rinsing the product off, a water-based cleanser is then followed after to wash the remaining impurities away, leaving the skin soft and supple. The reason why double-cleansing remains popular to this very day is because it provides a thorough cleaning effect that helps remove stubborn makeup and dirt while also leaving the skin soft and hydrated.
This makes it perfect for those who generally wear makeup everyday during work hours. However, if you normally don’t wear makeup, you can skip the oil-based cleansing part, so long as you have a water-based cleanser.
Here are some of the reasons why cleansing is a must before any skin care steps can be done:
1. Removing impurities
Aside from removing makeup, cleansing is one of the most important steps in any skin care regimen due to the fact that it serves to remove impurities. During the day, our skin is exposed to various elements that include dirt, pollution, and free radicals that can affect its appearance and overall health. To avoid incurring any of its side effects, using a cleanser twice a day keeps our skin safe by removing these elements while maintaining pore size.
2. Serving as the base of your skin care regimen
No matter how many skin care steps you may have, cleansing your face serves as the initial step and the base that ensures all the following products stay effective. If you have acne-prone skin, using an effective cleanser along with toners and blemish solutions provide a holistic skin care routine that addresses all your specific needs and problems. Without cleansing, the rest of your product will become less effective because it doesn’t have a clean base to work on.
3. Enhancing your moisturizer
Aside from toners and treatment solutions, using a cleanser first and foremost helps keep your skin clean and ready for hydration. Without cleansing, your moisturizer may fail to lock in the necessary hydration in keeping your skin soft and smooth, making it less effective in the long run.
There is no doubt that a proper cleanser can make all the difference when it comes to addressing skin health. Like most skin care products, there is no one-cleanser made for all since every person has different skin types. Before purchasing a cleanser, make sure to follow these guidelines to avoid making the wrong investment:
- Determine your skin type. Use an oil blotting sheet for this test. Let it sit on your face for a few minutes then remove. If it’s mostly translucent, you have oily skin. If it remains unchanged, you may have dry skin. If it has relatively small traces of moisture in certain areas, you may have combination skin.
- Narrow ingredients. Narrow your choices by selecting products with ingredients specifically catered to your skin. Certain ingredients that are mostly cream-based and focus on hydration like milk and creams suit those with dry skin while gentle but effective ingredients like green tea works best for oily skin.
- Check for consistency. This includes checking whether it’s cream/oil-based or water-based. Foamy cleansers with a creamy texture work best for dry skin while gentle solutions work well for oily, combination, and normal skin types.
- Visit a dermatologist. If you have sensitive skin, you may be better off seeking advice from a professional instead. While there are products that are specifically formulated for sensitive skin like fermented cleansers, asking advice from a professional can help you find several other options.
Cleansing is an important step because it serves as a base of all other skin care products by removing deep-seated dirt and locking in essential nutrients. Since not all cleansers are created the same, users should make sure to research on different products and reviews to find out which works for them. This also includes carrying out a skin patch test before trying new products on you.
Image source: https://www.pexels.com