There are so many varieties of baby food available in the market these days. You have pureed fruits and veggies, cereals and formula milk to name a few. So how do you decide what your baby likes? What do you look for in baby food jars? Do let us know.
Formula milk is one of the most commonly purchased product from the baby food section and I’m sure every baby’s first food would have been a store bought cereal. Usually the fruits and cereals used in baby food is fresh out of the market.
We too started with Nan pro from the day my daughter was born and later moved on to Cerelac. Some stuff that my baby loved were Heinz Cheesy Pasta and Gerber Apple Sauce. Gerber was convenient to carry around and now since she is 1 year we replaced Gerber with flavored yogurt. Though we always recommend home cooked food, it is impossible to carry home cooked food everywhere. Here convenience is the key. Luckily for us baby food is less processed and they use fruit sugars and also the salt content is monitored.
But keep in mind that you need to feed your baby twice the quantity of store bought baby food as compared to home cooked food. So here are some tips before you purchase baby food:
- Look at the ingredients list and always prefer food with lesser ingredients.
- Are you particular that all the ingredients are organic? Do look out specifically for organic brands.
- Is your baby allergic to gluten, dairy etc ? watch out. Provide a gap of at-least a week before you introduce any new food.
- If your choosing jarred food select jars according to your baby’s portion. It is not suggested you reheat baby food repeatedly.
- Choose baby food according to the age of the baby. Though some suggest age groups 4 months plus, please ask your pediatrician if you can introduce food other than breast-milk and formula that early.
- Don’t repeat the same food for more than a month, try out varieties.
- Check if the food can be microwaved if your baby is particular about hot food.
- Look at all the ingredients thoroughly and check if the food can be prepared at home especially fruit purees.
Image courtesy :dreamstime