As a mom we safeguard our precious bundles in our womb and protect them from the all external forces like the weather, pollution etc. The first thing that we all worry about after childbirth is how we are going to protect these tiny beings from the environment. Even a little mosquito will become the biggest villain in our lives.
Then when we somehow pass through this phase, during the next stage of handling environment changes during schooling or daycare, kids catch virus and bacteria infections very fast. Sadly we can’t even see these fellows like the mosquitos. Change in weather especially during winter increases the instances of cold and cough.
I think immunity building starts at home; we first need to cleanse our home environment. Indoor plants purify the air inside the house. Chemical based cleaners, air fresheners and detergents can further contaminate indoor air. We can reduce indoor air pollution by switching to organic cleaning options.
Here are some tips to build immunity for yourself and your little ones:
- Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables: Fruits rich in Vitamin C such as Amla should be your first choice. You can try Chyawanprash made out of Amla (please see my review below) as it has immunomodulatory and anti-allergic properties. Include Carrots, beans, spinach,oranges, strawberries in your diet.
- Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding protects the baby against all infections, allergies, and diseases as it has antibodies and White Blood Corpuscles. See our section on Breastfeeding for more information.
- Increase Sleep Time: This is for both mommies and kidos, sleep is an immunity builder and a stress reliever. A newborn should sleep for upto 18 hours, toddler 12-13 hours, adults atleast 7-8 hours.
- Exercise- Physical activity increases the internal defense mechanism of our body. Kids are active most of the time, moms you should atleast take a walk. Even pregnant mommies can do a light activity or yoga as adviced by a physician.
- Stay away from germ carriers: Teach kids to wash their hands. Throw away old toothbrushes and used tissues after a cold. Mommies always use a sanitizer, we all know how this cycle works, in my home cold travels back and forth like a pendulum.
I have summarized all that we can do from our end for our precious little ones, as winter is approaching I have a box of Dabur Chyawanprash in front of me. Its one thing we buy before every winter to protect us from winter and build our immunity.
Chyawanprash is an ancient Ayurvedic formulation to build immunity and is known as a powerful antioxidant. It contains:
- Amla: antioxidant
- Giloy: immuno-modulatory properties
- Ashwagandha: antistress, anti oxidant and immunomodulatory properties.
- Guduchi : antioxidant and immunomodulatory properties, provides strength.
- Satavari: promotes general health. It helps improve memory and is found to be beneficial for eyes.
- Bala: anti oxidant properties and acts as a strength promoter
- Vidarikand: acts as a rejuvenator
And many more ingredients and benefits, which you can read at the Dabur website here: http://www.daburchyawanprash.com/
Chyavanprash is safe during pregnancy, infact it helped a friend of mine get over a cold during pregnancy. She had bad cough too and it used to hurt her tummy a lot. My suggestion is to consume it after the 2nd trimester diluted with milk.
It promotes absorption of calcium leading to stronger bones and teeth for pregnant and nursing mothers. Kids can consume it as a jam or try the chocolate-flavoured granular Dabur Chyawan Junior. They even have new orange and mango flavors. Diabetics try the sugar-free Dabur ChyawanPrakash.
If kids refuse to eat it directly because of the sour taste, try it with milk or interesting variations like chywanprash cookies or sweet wantons/modhaks with chywanprash filling. Ill post the recipes soon.
Ill end by saying healthy families make a healthy society and thereby a healthy country. Build immunity stay healthy and enjoy you winters.
Disclaimer: Dear mommies, this is our entry for a contest hosted by Indiblogger and Dabur, but be assured that this is an honest review. after testing the product over years. We win this contest or no, our kid’s good health is our victory!!