Sago is high in carbohydrates and is very healthy. Most kids would love the tiny pearls. It provides instant energy and helps in digestion. My mom used to make this kheer when I had stomach problems or excess heat. This Kheer can be given to babies with some caution. If your serving it to your baby, make sure you use tiny pearls of sago and dont use any nuts as suggested in the recipe.
- Half liter milk
- 1/4 cup sago/sabudhana
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or as per taste
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Nuts and dried fruits as per taste
- Cardamom powder
- If you have saffron add a few strands to warm milk and let it stand for a while.
- In a tsp ghee add sago and fry on low heat for 2 mins and transfer it to a plate. In the same pan you can fry your nuts and transfer that too in a plate. I used almond flakes in my recipe.
- Now heat 1 cup water and bring it to a boil, to this add your sago and turn the flame to low and let it cook for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile boil your milk and sugar in another dish till the milk is reduced to half the quantity.
- Once the sago is cooked, add milk, cardamom powder, saffron and turn down the flame. Garnish with fried nuts.
Tip: When sago is cooked it will turn transparent.
Do not add sugar when the sago is cooking as it will not cook.