During our recent vacation I carried a travel cooker with us which was very useful and handy, I almost cooked every meal for my little one with that. Though the owners of the property where we stayed, were ready to offer us their kitchen, I was quite happy with the cooker. We made sure the room had a refrigirator. But later realised that most of my ingredients dont need one.
Ingredients we carried.
- Rice that was slightly powdered: Soaked, sundried and powdered coarsely
- Dal that was soaked overnight, sundried and powdered coarsely
- For pongal or khichdi- (ginger, curry leaves, jeera and pwppercorns) in a small zip pouch
- For Sambar Rice-(MTR Sambar mix)
- Homemade Cereal Powder (recipe here)
- Jaggery/Sugar and Salt
- Flavored Yogurt (Danone as my daughter only likes this brand)
- MIlk (tetra packed ones that will stay for 1 month)
What we cooked:
We cooked the rice and dal with water and used the khichdi mix once. Another time we used the sambar powder. So we we did one for lunch we would do the other for dinner.
Breakfast would be the ragi cereal
For snacktime it was the yogurt and biscuits dipped in milk
Other variations that you can try:
You can mix rice with MTR puliogere mix
You can make simple curd rice
Upma can be made with the khichdi mix, just fry semolina in oil and pack it in a zip pouch.