Image Source: Post delivery
Hi everyone. The period after delivery is called puerperium and it last s for six weeks. Essentially during this time, female body reverses most of the changes that occurred in various organs and systems during pregnancy, back to pre pregnancy levels.
So keep in mind the following things:
• Care of wound and stitches if any. It is important that care and hygiene of perineum (region under the pelvic diaphragm and between the legs) is maintained strictly to help the perineal wound heal quickly without any infection. For this wash perineum with an antiseptic solution followed by an ointment for two weeks till the healing is complete.
• Sanitation should be the top most priority as the uterine size has to come back to normal level, which is achieved b involution where there is shedding of uterine deciduas. It is seen as vaginal bleeding for few days followed by vaginal discharge that gets lighter and lighter in color as times goes by.
• Eat well, feed well. Since the baby is totally dependent on the lactating mother for the nutritional requirements, you have to look after your nutrition very well.
• Breast care: clean the nipples every time before offering the same to the baby.
• Sleep while you can. Above all in the immediate post delivery phase, you have to understand that baby feeding requirement is every 2-3 hours and you have to adjust your sleep and resting pattern accordingly- so that you are not too tired and ensure that you have enough sleep.
All the new moms have many guiding lights around. So listen to the elders and follow to what they say.