We Indians cannot imagine a life without spices, spices are such an integral part of our lives. So here is a list of spices that can be added to your baby’s food after 6 months. Please make sure you introduced only one spice at a time.
Even after you have introduced most of these spices, try to use combinations of only 2-3 spices at a time. Don’t add too many spices. Also spices are good to cook with but do remove them before you blend or mash the baby food, as it can be too strong.
- Ginger – Excellent for digestion and cold
- Black Peppercorns- Almost all my recipes have peppercorns, do not powder it just add whole peppercorns and remove before you blend.
- Curry leaves- 2-3 curry leaves can be added while cooking rice or dal (lentils), its is well known for its iron content
- Cumin- Another favorite of mine, I roast and powder cumin and it’s a part of all my baby food as it aids in digestion.
- Hing/Asafoetida- I use this in powder form when Im not using cumin, its again great for digestion and it helps with cold because of its heating property. Do not use too much.
- Clove- I have not used it as yet in baby food but I have added cloves to hot water and given the water to my baby, when she had cough and cold and it really helps warm the throat.
- Cinnamon- its known for its antiviral properties, I have used it once to make applesauce for my baby and also made pumpkin soup with it. Both recipes are pending from my side.
- Turmeric- It adds both flavor and color. Its an excellent antiseptic and can be added to both rice and dal.
Do Like us on facebook for more updates. Thanks.