I had queries from many new moms on how to protect their baby’s from the noise and pollution during Diwali. First of all, I would say relax. Most Indian babies (not sure if its natural!!!) adapt to Diwali very well. If kids are little its easy to manage them as you can keep them in a quiet place free from noise.
* Be very careful with the babies who can crawl as they might touch crackers, even unlit ones can be harmful so store your crackers in a safe place.
* Quiet Room: Try to change your baby into a quiet room well in advance at least a wekk ahead so that they adapt to teh new room.
* Keep the baby away from all lights and flowers. Flowers can cause asthma and babies can easily pluck them or even eat them. Keep diyas outdoors and all electric lights well plugged and childproof.
* Keep kids away from babies as they might run around with firecrakers or touch the baby with unwashed hands.
* You can use earplugs if necessary but Im sure most babies will be fine in a quiet place.
* Make sure too much smoke does into enter your house, your lucky if you have an air purifier. To keep smoke away light crackers away from windows.
* Do not feed your babies sweets laden with loads of sugar and ghee. Stick to the same baby food.
* Make your kids feel safe and comfortable during Diwali, dont change their routine or make them wear heavy ethnic wear as it will irritate them further.
Finally dont freak out and have a safe Diwali.